Striped Desk in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

 

Hey there! Today I wanted to share with you one of my favorite pieces! I found this great little Bassett desk on Craigslist for $25! I knew right away that I wanted something more fun than just painting it a solid color. Since stripes are my thing, I decided to give it a try.

stripedeskbefore.JPG
$25 Bassett desk from Craigslist

 

To begin, I painted the entire desk in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP for short) Graphite.  Once my first coat was completely dry, I used 3″ wide masking tape to tape off my stripes.  I measured the desk top to find the middle and placed my first piece of tape dead center.  With all of the drawers in the desk, I simply wrapped the tape down onto the front of the drawers so all of the stripes would line up perfectly.  Once my first piece of tape was on and straight, I simply butted all of the next pieces of tape next to each other so in the end my entire desk was taped up. Then, I removed every other piece of tape.  Easy as that! Other than taking some time, it really was simple!

IMG_0780.JPG
Taped off and painting white stripes

 

I did two coats of ASCP in Old White for the light stripes.  When it was dry,  I removed all of the tape and I had a pretty SCARY looking piece of furniture!  I was seriously doubting my idea at this point! It just looked….really weird! I almost ditched the whole project, but with all of that time spent taping I just pushed through. I lightly sanded the entire piece with 320 grit sandpaper to reveal a bit of wood along the edges.

IMG_0786.JPG

I used ASCP clear wax to seal up the whole desk. Lastly, I used an old t-shirt to buff to a low sheen!

The pulls are Martha Stewart Bedford Brass Awning Cup pull from Home Depot which I think polish it off nicely!

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/markedView More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/markedView More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked

I was so pleased with the final product! As with so many of the painting projects I do, the “in progress” is scary, but the end result turns out pretty neat! I listed this on my local Craigslist, and it sold the same day!

I want to credit my friend, Lacy, for my awesome photos (obviously not the couple of iPhone pics, those were mine, just the really great pictures are from her!) She’s such a talented photographer.  You can check out her site here http://www.lacytomlinson.com/

Hope your weekend was awesome! Thanks for reading along:)

Green Campaign Dresser

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked
Campaign Dresser in Fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac Brilliant

 

Hey guys! I wanted to share one of my latest painting projects with y’all.  Several months ago while I was browsing my local Craigslist, I happened onto this great dresser located about an hour from my house. Finding this style of furniture is pretty rare in my neck of the woods, so I was super excited it was still available when I contacted the seller!

Once we got it home, it sat in my workshop for a couple months waiting on me to get around to working on  it until a local interior decorator and good friend of mine called me one day asking if I had any dressers available that could work in a teenage girl’s bedroom. Of course this one came to mind first. After I sent a few photos to her, we decided that it would be perfect in this shade of green to match her client’s bedding. I really wish I had a before photo to share with you, but unfortunately, I’m brand new to this blogging thing, so I have zero before or process photos. From here on out, however, I vow to be better about that!

I used Fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac Brilliant in BS221 Brilliant Green.  The glossy sheen of this paint is the best I’ve found from an oil base paint thus far! It’s just incredible!

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked

 

For in inside of the drawers, I used ModPodge to secure a black and white stripe fabric down as a liner just for an added fun touch because green, brass and black & white stripes are perfectly made for one another!

View More: http://lacytomlinsonphotography.pass.us/marked

 

Well guys, thanks for taking the time to read my first blog entry! This is something I’ve wanted to do for such a long time! I’ll be sure to be better about documenting the processes along the way. Until next time….